1 0 L I N K S F O R A S T R O N G
W O R K I N G W E E K
1. If (like me) you have an insatiable appetite for other people’s professional routines, you’ll probably love The Cut’s ‘How I Get It Done’ column. Thorough breakdowns of the hows, whens, whys and wheres of successful women’s careers. Prepare to lose an hour or two in the archive.
2. Another one from the archive (but still well worth a read) Broadly’s interview with the inspiring Museum Mammy, the 26-year-old social media manager for the Met, who also runs an incubator for black artists and the Black Contemporary Art blog.
3. Some good news: the gender pay gap is down to 5% among UK workers in their 20s. (The bad news: millennial women still face a deficit of almost 30% by the time they are in their mid-40s.) Sigh.
4. I’m a big fan of Chelsea Fagan’s writing on The Financial Diet, especially this searingly-honest account of the pressures of being a girlboss.
5. #Inspo #Inspo #Inspo: 21 of the top female-founded startups to watch in 2017.
6. #Inspo and #Gymspo in one: FKA Twigs’ self-directed film for Nike Women (and the letter of explanation and zine - produced in collaboration with my friend Suzannah Pettigrew - that accompany it).
7. Dream article, dream girls: Beyonce interviews her sister Solange (for Interview mag - who else?)
8. In another powerhouse meets powerhouse situation:Roxane Gay interviews Madonna for Harper’s BAZAAR. (Sample quote: "I've always felt oppressed. I know a lot of people would go, 'Oh, that's ridiculous for you to say that. You're a successful white, wealthy pop star,' but I've had the shit kicked out of me for my entire career, and a large part of that is because I'm female and also because I refuse to live a conventional life.)
9. Six 30-year-old women with wildly varying incomes share their spending and saving habits with ELLE. Fascinating.
10. Just in case you kept your head under your duvet and your eyes off the internet all of last week (kudos to you, if so):Ignore everything except Michelle Obama’s final speech and Meryl Streep calling out Trump at the Golden Globes.